Thursday, August 1, 2013

Freedom!

If you haven't already noticed, I got a fabulous surprise today! I got to leave the hospital and come home! My INR (the ever important number involving the "clottiness" of my blood) was up 0.2 to 1.4.  Since we were aiming for 2.0-3.0, I assumed from previous conversations with the doctor, I would still be there likely through the weekend at least. Instead, she referenced an even earlier conversation with another doctor and told me I would be giving myself "shots" for likely a week that would substitute for the drip blood thinner. I was nervous but she assured me I would be taught how to do it and would be perfectly fine to do it. I wondered throughout the day if everything would process for this to actually happen and was told mid-afternoon I would for sure be leaving in the evening. David arranged to go in late to his second job so he could pick me up, get my prescriptions and dinner and get me home and settled. Bless his heart! 

I was surprised at how easy the "shots" were and was discharged from the hospital shortly after 5pm this evening. I was stoked. It took awhile to get everything we needed as they prescriptions weren't quite ready and we needed a specific box to dispose of them in that the first pharmacy didn't have. The second place wasn't open and we finally located it, took care of dinner briefly and I finally settled into home. David left for work, as I assured him I was okay. After eating dinner, I had a mini panic as I didn't find my pain medicine. After I called David, he helped me clarify that the pain meds were prescribed on an as needed basis after the D&C and I hadn't touched them yet. I checked the paperwork and confirmed he was right all around, took them and calmed back down.

I've spent my evening announcing my excitement, calling & texting family to update them and vegging in front of shows I missed while in the hospital. I am thrilled to be home but now I truly feel this song alive in me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29olPjFbqg

So for a week or so,  I will be giving myself a "shot" in the tummy twice a day since I still need to get my INR up.

For 6 months (at least), I will be taking a blood thinner orally once a day. I will meet with a hematologist periodically. I will meet with a regular doctor at intervals as well, starting at about twice a week and reducing eventually to about once a month to get my blood  drawn and tested. I will be called by my hospital's pharmacy after these draws to keep my posted on how much blood thinner I need to be taking and will help me adjust it as needed. I will be having tests run periodically during and then some once I am off the blood thinner to help reveal the cause(s) and other helpful information (we hope) about my condition.

Re: DNC I will be following up with my doc on Tuesday and he will be running genetic testing to see if it reveals anything.

Yes, I still have a pulmonary embolism and we have no idea when it will disappear or if it will fully but we know God is in control and that the plan put in place will most likely prevent anything like this from ever happening again. We also know I had no hand in this happening to me. God knows why He allowed this to happen and we are depending on Him to lead us forward. David and I still have some more personal & familial things to talk about. For now, I am excited to be home in my comfy bed, get a day with my best friend tomorrow (he's the best), see my kiddos for real Saturday and start moving forward with yet another "new normal." God is soooooo good and we are so thankful I am alive and still chatting everyone's ears off ;)
\
Thank you for all of the prayers. We still need them. I promise, I'll keep you posted. And remember, you are an OVERCOMER too!

Love and God Bless,
    *Melis*

P.S. Squirt & Little One, Mommy & Daddy haven't forgotten about you. We still miss you and are thankful, despite the pain that God is using you both to help us grow together and on our own in faith. *Mwah!*

No comments:

Post a Comment