Sunday, August 4, 2013

Outta the hospital - first few days

Hi friends,
  Its been an interesting few days to say the least. Thursday night initially I relaxed but ultimately didn't fall asleep until after 1am, only to wake up at 5am to give myself my first set of injections at home. I also had my first realization of the combo of being diagnosed with PE (pulmonary embolism) as well as the D&C for miscarraige just beforehand.  I slept a little bit more but ultimately was too distracted to stay asleep. 

At 10am, I went to my appt with the PA who had an opening right away. We were still trying to understand why certain appointments needed to be made, especially this one but he seemed more confused about why I was there. He asked me repeatedly what a D&C was and why I had to have it and then proceeded to tell me things we already knew (like how my pain meds I was taking as needed were  "strong"). He told me they had to refer me to the clinic for the blood thinners (I'll sound it out as I am still learning its spelling - coo-ma-din, a.k.a. warfarin).

We then headed over to the hospital to get my blood drawn as instructed, only to hit several more hurtles with admitting and insurance. I remembered we had the pharmacist's number (she reports on my lab draws and keeps me on track) and David called her. She immediately came down and sorted everything out for us. I shared my concerns about the prior visit with the PA and she immediately recognized the issues and told me she would call over and take care of it. She told me for my next blood draw, the issues would be sorted out for me there as well. While this was all going on, the PA's nurse had called again and been chatting with David confusing us further.

Once my blood draw was taken care of, we headed over to take care of lunch and errands before heading visit a friend and spend some time allowing me to catch up with her. Her kids were super cute with David. We were both laughing. After the visit, David and I made a point to walk around and "window shop," mainly to just spend time together. It went okay but I had several mini emotional meltdowns as I tried to understand this "new life" I was being prescribed so to speak. During this time, the pharmacist called and told me my INR number (clotting) had dropped 0.1. She didn't sound thrilled as they expect it to keep going up at this stage I believe. She gave me instructions to adjust the oral blood thinner and told me to do my next blood draw Monday and we would go from there.

I had a mini meltdown again while giving myself my evening "shot" and oral blood thinner but realized it also helped me feel a lot better. The day progressed with good time with my hubby, another meltdown when I saw a newborn and her parents and ultimately coming home, ready to blog but too tired to keep my eyes open.  Unfortunately, that didn't last. I ended up taking back-to-back doses of my pain meds due to muscles spasms (we think) during the night. During the second dose, I kept waking up writhing in pain. I was so frustrated and felt horrible waking up my David repeatedly.

The next day, David and I spent a little time together in town in the a.m. before returning home to receive our sweet Micah & Joy Joy. We had been warned Micah was sick and upon seeing him, David promptly took him to get him checked out. The ER was quick (no lie)! However, several pharmacies and confusions later (several hours as well), David had MOST of Micah's prescriptions and brought him home to administer them and feed the two of them. I felt I was doing a little better but had a long meltdown when it occurred to me I had a little boy with an ear infection and pink eye (swollen just before David needed to be at work). After several calls on David's part and me finally finding the confidence while calming down my Micah, I sent David off to work an hour late. (I felt so horrible about this.)

Micah did surprisingly well and ultimately did fall asleep and sleep most of the night. Joy was fantastic and such a great big girl! I slept pretty well until I woke up for my "shot" and then needed pain meds. Fortunately, no more incidences of freaking out & crying occurred last night and Micah got to sleep from 6-9am in our bed this morning.

I decided to take Joy out for our monthly "date" this morning as I saw improvement in myself and thought the boys would like a quite morning to themselves. Joy gladly joined me and we had some fun girl time. She was a fantastic buddy and was full of giggles and smiles. We stayed out long enough for me to have one of my "warm patches." (still working on a better name -- Essentially, I get really warm, sweaty etc.  and my breathing gets slightly heavier and I need to get out of the situation ASAP.) We cut our trip out a little short and were thrilled to see our boys awake and happy at home. 

The afternoon progressed at a glacial pace, as far as I am concerned. I would put a few pieces of clothing away and then lay down and rest for a bit and then do i over again for quite awhile. As David was getting ready to leave around 4:30, we chatted about concerns, progress etc. and made the decision for him to go to work as ultimately I felt okay enough to take care of the kids again and we would reevaluate tomorrow after the blood draw and hopefully talking to the pharmacist.

So, here's where we are with prayer...

1. My INR needs to go up, up, up! (2.0-3.0 is where it needs to land and stay ultimately but since it had dropped to 1.3 Friday, right now, we just need it to go up enough for me to feel okay and the pharmacist continue to feel comfortable enough to have me home.) 

2. Micah is doing better. Pray for him to continue to heal.

3. For the kiddos to be "easy" on me so I can continue to build my strength and energy without putting myself in harm's way ultimately.

4. Questing to be answered -- we hope to have the pharmacist answer questions of concern David and I have observed lately tomorrow while we are at the hospital for the blood draw.

5. David -- my sweet husband has been so wonderful and helpful but he really needs wrapped in prayer as he is usually so busy at work or caring for someone right now, he is having trouble processing the recent events.

Thank you all for the continued prayer and support. I will continue to do my best to give updates, as well as a peek into where I am with it all. It is all a bit confusing and frustrating right now, even angering me at times but we continue to press forward and pray God's Will be done regardless of what we want or think we need.

That's all for now...
            *Melis*

No comments:

Post a Comment